Tuesday, September 14, 2010

10 in 21 Challenge...because I need another one!

Just when the 100 Day Burpee Challenge starts to get tough, I decide to throw another challenge in the bag. This time, the challenge is focused on cleaning up what I have come to know of my diet in recent  weeks.

The "10 in 21 Challenge" was introduced to me by CrossFit Central coaches JDP, Crystal, and Megan last month. Both JDP and Crystal completed the challenge and saw big results - JDP lost 10 lbs and Crystal lost 6% body fat! Looking at both of them, you'd wonder how that was possible, but they did it and feel great now. Megan is using some of the principles from the diet plan and adding her own twist for her upcoming, "ShowFit" program (details coming soon!)

Ok, so what's it all about?! Developed by Austin fitness trainer and fellow Crossfitter, David King, the program is designed to help you lose 10 lbs in 21 days. There is a list of low-carb, low-fat food options that you must stick to for the entire 21 days without deviating! Anytime you deviate from the foods on the list and "cheat" you have to run 5 miles to compensate. This is a definite deterrent for me!

A daily menu for women is approx 1,200 - 1,400 calories and includes meal replacement shakes*, lean protein, and veggies with the smallest amounts of sugar. I add in Advocare SPARK before my workouts and use Advocare Muscle Gain as my protein powder for dessert each night*. As David King says, the program is simple, but certainly won't be easy. It's only for 3 weeks, so I think that makes it do-able.

My starting stats on 9/12/10:
Weight: 165lbs
Body Fat: 22%


Learn more about the "10 in 21 Challenge" here: http://www.davidkingfitness.com/programs/10-in-21-challenge

*Important note: I am aware that this program is not Paleo or Zone-friendly and is calorie-restricted. THIS IS A QUICK FIX; a jump-start - not intended to be a long term nutrition program. I realize that the intensity of my workouts may suffer from lack of dietary fat during these 21 days. I will probably not set any new max lift PRs,  and I am ok with that...for 3 weeks. On Day 22, I will return to Paleo/Zone nutrition and setting PRs. :)

I'll keep you posted on my progress!

2 comments:

  1. This goes against everything that crossfit is about. Why are you turning to a diet that could be seen on any magazine cover broadcasting, "Lose ___ pounds in ___ days", when we've learned how to make a lifestyle out of healthy foods? To some degree most of us are trying to lose weight but it's never been to be skinny, but to become more healthy and improve our performances at the gym.

    Whatever happened to "Strong is the new skinny"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lory, I'm not dieting to be skinny - why did you make that assumption? Losing 10 lbs won't make me "skinny" or weak. Believe that!

    I'm doing this as a way to clean up my diet after months of cheats. Same as the Advocare 24 Day Challenge, or Intermittent Fasting, cleanses, etc. I don't yet know if its something that I would suggest to others. I am trying it out on myself first.

    It's ok if it's not your thing. I respect that. :)

    ReplyDelete