Thursday, April 15, 2010

CFC Boot camp is RELENTLESS!

A few years ago I was introduced to CrossFit Central through a co-worker of mine who had been doing the boot camp workouts. I went to one of the free UTB workouts with him (boot camp-style workouts held monthly "Under the Bridge" at Mopac near Austin High) and instantly fell in love with the workouts. It was exactly what I needed - a good ass-kicking! And, the coaches were cute - BONUS! :)

The next month, I started attending the M/W/Th LCRA bootcamp at 6:30 p.m., led by Coach Zach Thiel. Little did I know that I was in store for much more than a great workout - I was embarking on a journey that would change my life forever....

I must admit, the first few months were pretty rough. I remember being so sore from air squats that I could barely sit down (flash forward to now when I'm taking Olympic Lifting classes for fun and regularly performing front, back, and overhead squats with serious weight - ha!). I stuck with it and saw some great results - I looked and felt great and was really enjoying working out with the group.

Then, I went on hiatus. Maybe I was burnt out, maybe I was trying to save money...I can't remember why I left now. Needless to say, that was a bad idea. Over the course of the next 8 months, I gained back all the weight I had lost and was feeling like crap. (This was all pre-Paleo when exercise regulated my weight.)

One day I picked up a copy of AustinFit Magazine and saw a photo of CFC Coach Crystal McReynolds. I knew at that point what I had to do...train and eat like the best to be the best. So, I dove back in, head-first and haven't looked back since. It began with M/W/F 6:30 a.m. boot camp at Deep Eddy w/ Coach Crystal, which led to women's indoor CFC workouts about 2 months later. That was 8 months ago and I'm happy to report that I've stuck with the indoor workouts and am seeing awesome results. 

Why am I reminiscing? Because it helps to remember how far you've come and appreciate your journey. And, because I want to give the CrossFit Central Relentless Bootcamps a HUGE shout-out for helping me get to where I am today.

I encourage anyone interested in getting in shape to try out the boot camps. There are locations all around Austin at times that are convenient (view em all here) And, it's not a wimpy workout - it's legit! Case in point: I returned to Zach's LCRA boot camp last night (as seen in this photo) and was reminded of how tough it was! A 6lb. med ball doesn't seem like much until you've pressed, swung, and wall-balled it a million times. Ouch! Shoulders are on fire today...

Come to the UTB workout next Saturday and give it a try. I promise you will have fun and get a great workout! Visit http://www.crossfitcentral.com/ for more info on the free workouts held each month.

No comments:

Post a Comment