Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Push jerks live up to their name

Last night's WOD included lots of shoulder work (again). This time we warmed up with some shoulder presses, push presses, and push jerks using different equipment and weights:

3 Rds, AMRAP 30 seconds
25 lb dumbbell shoulder press (18, 15, 12)
8 lb medball push jerk (22,18,15)
12 kg dual kettlebell push press (10, 10, 10 - bruises to show for it)
200 m run

It felt like we were doing it backwards. Typically shoulder press is the lightest weight, push press is heavier, and push jerk is heaviest. But, I didn't question it b/c it burned, the entire time. Must be doing something, right?!

Then, came the "real" workout:
3 rds, Don't put the barbell down until sequence is complete
10 Deadlifts
10 Front Squat
10 Push Jerks
10 Back Squats
Rx was 75lbs, I used 65lbs.

I should have been able to complete this one at 75lbs, but it felt really heavy on the push jerks, so I scaled down. The leg work was pretty easy at 75 and too easy at 65, but you're only as strong as your weakest link (shoulders in my case). I was discouraged since I've done push press at 85 and 95 lbs before, but whatever. Wonder if my shoulders were just cashed, or I'm not getting under the weight quickly enough? At any rate, my shoulders were sore this morning, so I know I worked hard. Wrists are also sore, but I blame that on my desk job and the fact that I type ALLLLL day. Need to bring my grippers to work to help strengthen my hands, wrists, and forearms.

Anyway, I watching some videos about push jerk form and found this one to be particularly helpful. Notice, he's lifting the same weight in all three exercises, however the push jerk is by far the most efficient way to get the weight overhead. Check it out.

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I just wrote one for the same WOD last night and yes, that second WOd was serious. My biggest hang up from going from FS to jerk cause my wrists were hurtin bad!

    PS. I got bruises to show for the KB WOD #1 too!

    ReplyDelete