Monday, November 2, 2009

Week 2 - Still Going Strong!

I've been Paleo for one week now, and overall, I've been doing pretty well. I did "loosen my menu" on Friday night and Saturday night, but I didn't cheat all weekend. In fact, I toned it down significantly from what I used to do. I'm proud of myself for making it through the holiday weekend with no regrets. I just kept thinking about all the hard work I'm putting in, and how happy I will be once I hit my goals. I finally trust myself to stick with it. Spent most of my Sunday cooking and prepping meals for this week. On the menu for lunch all week - homemade chicken soup with veggies. Delish. My second batch has less fat and more veggies, to go along with my personal nutrition plan. Check out the original recipe. Also made squash pie - a Paleo version of sweet potato pie using butternut squash and grapeseed oil. It is so yummy - I am using it as a dessert! I also plan to make this in place of the traditional sweet potato side dish for Thanksgiving dinner. On a side note: Peas, mashed potatoes, and yams/sweet potatoes typically make up our "veggie" options at this meal. Unless we partake in a family Crossfit WOD right before dinner, there will be no way our bodies will be able to healthfully process all that starch/sugar. So, I plan to have other Paleo-friendly, low GI options available for those of us who are eating clean. Besides, if I'm going to cheat it will be on pumpkin pie, NOT on some stinkin' potatoes. Moving on... I'm looking forward to a great workout today. We're kicking the week off right with some heavy lifting. I'm sure Crystal will throw some sprints in there too - just for fun! CrossFit Women's WOD: 5 Rounds for time 10 Dumbbell Chest Press 10 Dumbbell Hang Squat Clean (35 lbs dumbbells is Elite weight Rx) This weight will be heavy for the chest press, but right-on for the squat cleans. I'll start as prescribed, then adjust if I have to. I'm not too concerned with finishing first - I'd rather be able to lift the Rx weight for all 5 rounds. I can work on time once I've built the muscle. :)

2 comments:

  1. Good luck on Paleo. I followed it for a while. It really does make you feel great. You may feel a lack of energy in the next couple of weeks as you get use to it.

    I have not switch back to more of a zone/paleo mix because I am doing more running.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I figure I'll adjust as I go keeping in mind the overall strategy to eat more healthful foods, even if I have to change it up to regulate energy. Most importantly, I'm learning to eat more veggies and protein and fewer calories overall. That's what I'm taking away from it, anyway. Thanks for the tip!!

    ReplyDelete